How to create a delayed reveal NFT drop.
- Configure smart contract
- Create smart contract in blockchain
- Start drop
- Visit drop page
- Mint NFTs (you or collectors)
- Set up placeholder image on Opensea
- Upload the final reveal images
- Click update metadata
- Wait for Opensea to update
- Finalize the reveal with collectors
2 Types of NFT Drops
- Delayed Reveal – collectors mint your NFT placeholder image, then you reveal at a later time
- Revealed Upon Mint – collectors will immediately see the final NFT when they mint from your drop page
Create Smart Contract First Before Adding NFTs
You need to create the smart contract on the blockchain before you set up NFTs to set up your pre-reveal.
Any image in listed on the NFT tab at the time of smart contract creation will be uploaded.
Starting Your Drop
There must be at least 1 NFT minted in the collection in order for the collection to show up in Opensea.
You have 2 ways to mint and make your collection visible on Opensea:
- You mint and purchase NFTs to use for giveaways, promotions, auctions, and more. You will pay the price set for your NFT, there is no way to separately mint these.
- You wait until users come and mint the placeholder, then you go in and configure the collection on Opensea.
Needing an initial NFT to the collection to get it to show is a caveat with Opensea and custom smart contracts brought in from outside their system.
This video will show you how you or your buyers will visit your drop page to mint and purchase your NFTs. Once minted, you can grab the smart contract address from Etherscan and find it by entering it into Opensea.
Setting Up The Delayed Reveal Image In Opensea
Once the collection shows up in Opensea, you will need to edit the collection details and add a profile picture.
By default, if there isn’t an image set for the collection, you will see a broken image placeholder until you set one.
Upload Your NFT Creatives & Metadata
Edit Metadata Before or After Minting Begins
You have the ability to update the NFTs at any time during the drop.
Be careful when you have already revealed and collectors have purchased your NFT.
You could ruin the integrity of your project if you switch out tokens in your NFT tab.